Sunday, November 8, 2015

Redesigning Cereal Box

Hello! My name is Theresa Zheng, and I am 15 year old. I am currently enrolled at Mount Carmel School (best decision I've ever made). I am a cheese and pug enthusiast. 

The students were given a project called redesigning a cereal box. The main objective of this project was to minimize surface area while maximizing the volume. I had to create a new cereal box where the original amount of cereal would be able to fit in.

     The package was very sturdy because of the cardboard packaging. Pulling the cereal out of the box, I notice that there was minimal space, therefore, the cereal had to come out from a tight space. The products inside were only filled halfway in their plastic bags. Producers should really fill their cereals all the way. The cereal was just ordinary flakes with dried strawberries added to it. 

     Yes! The cereal box is made out of recycled cardboard. Companies, like Kellogg's, have actually been making their packaging out of recycled cardboard boxes. If you look under the box it even promotes recycling and being environmentally friendly. Being a environemntally friendly box attracts new customers. 

     I would make it thinner. The cardboard box doesn't have to be too think. Also, since the cereal inside the plastic packaging isn't all the way to the top, I would reduce the height of the box. This way everything is smaller and more environemntally friendly.

     The box design affects the amount of space it would take on a shelf. When people see the cereal box in stores, they decide if they should get it not only by the flavor, but by the size of the box. I mean, what if they get home and it can't fit in their pantry? No one wants a big and bulky box. 

     The amount (volume) of cereal you have must be able to fit in the cereal box (surface area). Whether it is the size or height, it must fit. When solving, the new and old surface area will turn out differently from each other, but the volume stays the same. The amount of cereal can fit in either the original or new box. 

     I was befuddled at first. I had to sit back and really try and play around with the numbers (length, width, and height). I tried many times and sooner or later I found the solution! The original and new surface area were different, but the volume for both was the same. The new surface area was a smaller amount. It was challenging but not impossible! 











No comments:

Post a Comment